10 Ways to Save Money on Airfare this Summer
Our facebook fans offered up some great tips for traveling on a budget and I thought I would share them with you today. Airfare costs can sometimes stop vacation plans in their tracks but, while you can't usually fly for free, you can certainly fly a bit cheaper. If you have any tips to share, be sure to add them below!
10 Ways to Save on Airfare Travel this Summer
1. Use Travel Websites: These are a few sites our users told us about, I use several of them on a regular basis. Priceline.com, AirfareWatchdog.com, Tripeedo.com, Kayak.com, Southwest.com, Expedia.com, Travelocity.com and cheaptickets.com.
2. Fly Out of Another Airport: Ticket prices do seem to be cheaper out of larger airports like Dallas. Make the extra drive and you may save quite a bit of money per ticket. However, a few people said it is cheaper to fly into a smaller airport. Something to look at when researching prices!
3. Bing's Price Predictor: Bing lets you know if prices are holding steady, rising or dropping. This gives you the information you need to decide if you buy tickets now or wait for a better deal.
4. Call Directly: Call your airline telling them the prices online and ask if they can beat it. You could save a bundle!
5. Fly on Tuesday: Looks like Tuesday is one of the cheapest days of the week to fly, Wednesday and Thursday aren't too far behind. If you can schedule your vacation around those dates, you'll likely save some extra cash.
6. Try a Travel Agent: Many travel agents offer exclusive deals and are not nearly as expensive as you might think.
7. Kayak.com's Fare Trend: Once you put in your travel dates, check out the box on the left of your screen. You'll be able to see the airfare rate trends over a period of time so you can see if you are truly getting the best deal.
8. Travel Off Season: Obviously, a summer vacation is not off season. However, normally I would say off-season is best for any vacation.
9. Earn Travel Miles: Many major credit cards offer frequent flyer miles which can be earned on every purchase. If you have self discipline, you can sign up for one of these and put all of your expenses on the card then pay it off at the end of the month in full. You can rack up miles quickly this way. (For me this is a dangerous concept, but for those of you with businesses or a heck of a lot of discipline, this may work.) Please note: I am not advocating credit cards...simply stating a way to save on airfare.
10. Read 'Travel Hacking for Noobs': One of our fans posted this article and it was VERY interesting, tons of great tips!
Again, if you have money saving travel tips, be sure to post them below! Enjoy your summer!