10 Free Activities for the Kids this Summer
Yesterday was the last day of school for my oldest son which means it is time to get creative with our summertime activities! If you are wanting a few extra fun things to do this summer (that won't cost you a dime), check out this list below. If you have items to add, be sure to post them, we'll take all the ideas we can get! :)
5 Free Activities for the Kids this Summer
1. Kids Bowl Free: This is one of my favorite programs out there right now. You can sign your kiddos up for free bowling all summer long, you'll have to rent the shoes but it's still a great deal!
2. Local Library Reading Programs: Every library offers some kind of summer reading program for kids. Make the most of it! Now is the time to get your kids excited about reading!
3. Free (or nearly free) Summer Movies: Check with your local movie theater to find out about their summer movie program for kids. Most theaters offer free or $1 movies for kids throughout the summer. This program is a blast!
4. Splash Pads & New Parks: Visit parks and splash pads that are not in your normal area of town. This is fun for the kids and you'll likely find a new favorite park. Be sure to get creative while you're there, hold a picnic or even a scavenger hunt. No matter where you go, bring the fun with you!
5. Free Building Workshops: Both Lowe's & Home Depot offer great workshops just for kids. They can build a project and have a great time doing it. Be sure to reserve your spot though and show up early!
6. Camp In: Pitch the tent indoors! Yep, that's what I said. In Oklahoma, it is stinking HOT in the summer which means an indoor camp out is not as crazy as it sounds. Pitch the tent, cover the living room in stuffed animals, go on a bear hunt, heat a smore in the microwave and write me an e-mail thanking me for keeping you from getting eaten alive by bugs.
7. Make Elephant Toothpaste: Hands down one of my favorite indoor activities (or outdoor). It's easy and your kids will be talking about it forever!
8. Fence Chalk: Grab the chalk and hit the fence! This is a little outside the norm but it's fun and washable. Let the kids chalk all over your wood privacy fence and just wash it off if you want when they are done. Personally, I think a little graffiti never hurt anyone.
9. Wash It All: Grab the hose, wash the cars and the dog too! Turn the chore into a fun and memorable activity. This means, both the kids and adults put on the bathing suits, throw sponges soaked with soap and spray everything in sight. Seriously. When is the last time you had fun washing the car? Well, now is your chance.
10. Apple Summer Camp: What to the what?!!? Yes, it's a free kids camp from Apple. It is a three day, free event that introduces your children to the fun and amazing size of Apple technology. Registration isn't open yet, but be sure to bookmark the link so you can get in!
Remember to post your favorite activities too! Enjoy your summer!