It’s National Gardening Month and I’m excited! My little guys and I are ready to start planting! I think it is important to teach our children to eat well and to teach them where their food comes from. Planting a garden helps kids understand the food process as well as encourage them to eat healthy and play outdoors. We started our little seedlings a few days ago and can’t wait to take them outside.
For my kids, it’s also all about discovery. Just the other day we went for a walk and counted more than 70 caterpillars, it was a fun activity and we got our 60 minutes of physical activity in for the day as well!
Of course, our walk brought us back to our garden where we finished watering the flowers and getting ready for some major planting. Need a little help getting started? Check out these tips below.
Here are some tips to start your family garden in April:
- Start small and let kids choose what to plant. Offer guidance and make sure there are some sure-success plants among their picks.
- Let your kids get dirty and explore nature!
- Find healthy recipes and plan to plant some of the ingredients in your new garden. Click here to find delicious healthy recipes!
- Whether it is a plot in your back yard or just a few pots, find the best location for your seeds and plants.
- If you and your family are in the heat, make sure everyone stays hydrated while working in the sun!
Have fun this Spring and start planting!