A few years ago, I made a real lifestyle change. I committed to eating healthy, exercising and not giving up. That commitment changed my life for the better. One question I still get all the time is, “how can I eat healthy and save money?” This because so many people have seen coupons for processed, unhealthy foods for years. Truth is, there are plenty of ways to eat healthy and save money and today, I’m going to share a few.
5 Ways to Eat Healthy & Save Money
- Plan Ahead: Menu planning is key to saving money. Plan around sales, coupons, what is in season, etc and you’ll save money and time at the grocery store. Sticking to your list and planning ahead is crucial. Also, prepare ahead. Buy your fruits and veggies then wash and store them in grab-ready containers. That will keep you from reaching for the easy junk food!
- Shop in Season: While I realize you already know this, it is important to mention. When you plan your weekly menu for your family, be sure to plan around fruits and veggies that are in season. You’ll find, they’re the cheapest (and they taste the best too). Plus, you can get creative with things like eggplant or squash. You might find a new favorite!
- Skip the Packages: No need for a “prepackaged salad” when you can make your own for a fraction of the price. You can grow your own too but even if you’re not the farming type, simply buying a head of lettuce or some spinach and adding your own mixture to it will be much less than buying a bag salad that will likely go gross in a day or two.
- Learn to Cook…Again: I’ll admit, this one is not easy. I’ve had to learn to cook with fresh veggies, fruit and mainly chicken. I don’t add a lot of seasoning (my body just can’t handle it) so it’s pretty basic around here. Take some time, check out some books at the library and forget what you once knew. You’ll find you will save money by sticking to the basics and simply by adding different veggies, you can change the whole shape of a meal! Need some help? Check out my pinterest boards!
- Use Coupons: Yes, there are coupons for organic and healthy items. You can call the manufacturer directly, look at the brand website or get store coupons at places like Whole Foods or Sprouts. Most health foods stores do offer their own promotions and coupons. The savings are out there, you just have to know where to find them!
Need more tips? Want more recipes? Check out ShapeYourFutureOk.com.